Close Menu
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Alausa Commences Repositioning Of MBTE With KPMG-Led Restructuring To Boost Technical, Vocational Education

August 20, 2026

Echono Urges Nigerians to Embrace Oloyede’s Legacy of Integrity As UNILORIN Honours 30 Distinguished Nigerians

August 20, 2026

Nigerian Navy, NDLEA Jointly Destroy N301bn in Seized Drugs in Lagos

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
Subscribe
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
Home»Health»Meningitis Outbreak: Health Workers Begin Massive Vaccination
Health

Meningitis Outbreak: Health Workers Begin Massive Vaccination

TheSightNews .By TheSightNews .April 5, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Stanley Chuck

Health workers in Nigeria have on Wednesday began a mass vaccination programme to halt a mass outbreak of meningitis that has killed nearly 340 people since late last year.

 

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said there had been 2,997 suspected cases of the disease in 16 states as of April 3, with 336 deaths according to AFP.

 

According to Lawal Bakare from the Agency; “Right now, vaccinators are in the field in Zamfara state administering doses of vaccine to contain the spread of the disease,” Lawal Bakare, from the agency”.

 

Zamfara, in northwest Nigeria, and the neighbouring states of Sokoto, Katsina, Kebbi and Niger have been hit hardest by the disease which broke out in November and most of the dead are children aged five to 14.

 

Bakare however said that 500,000 doses of vaccines would be distributed in the worst-hit states and an additional 823,970 doses were expected to arrive from Britain for use elsewhere.
Health officials said the type of meningitis C strain responsible for the latest outbreak was not common in Nigeria and there was a “limited stock” of vaccine worldwide.

 

In Zamfara alone, three million doses are required but health officials said they were confident the vaccination campaign would reduce the number of cases.

 

Meningitis is caused by different types of bacteria, six of which can cause epidemics. It is transmitted between people through coughs and sneezes, and facilitated by cramped living conditions and close contact.

 

The illness causes acute inflammation of the outer layers of the brain and spinal cord, with the most common symptoms being fever, headache and neck stiffness.

 

Nigeria lies in the so-called “meningitis belt” of sub-Saharan Africa, stretching from Senegal in the west to Ethiopia in the east, where outbreaks of the disease are a regular occurrence.

 

The country and neighbouring Niger were both badly hit by meningitis outbreaks in 2015, when over 13,700 people were infected in six months, with more than 1,100 deaths.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Related

Health Meningitis outbreak NCDC
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
TheSightNews .
  • Website

Related Posts

FG Renews Push for Safer Drinking Water as National Water Quality Training Begins in Abuja

August 14, 2026

NMEP, Sproxil Explore AI, Private Data to Accelerate Malaria Elimination

August 11, 2026

Elevating Military Healthcare: Alausa Inaugurates Technical Working Group On First Medical Cadet, Sets 2026 Admission Target

July 31, 2026

Ebola Alert: FG Expands Preparedness Despite No Confirmed Case in Nigeria

July 11, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Advertisement
Recent Post

Alausa Commences Repositioning Of MBTE With KPMG-Led Restructuring To Boost Technical, Vocational Education

August 20, 2026

Echono Urges Nigerians to Embrace Oloyede’s Legacy of Integrity As UNILORIN Honours 30 Distinguished Nigerians

August 20, 2026

Nigerian Navy, NDLEA Jointly Destroy N301bn in Seized Drugs in Lagos

August 20, 2026

FG Boosts Lagos Power Supply as Tegbe Commissions 840MVA Transmission Projects

August 20, 2026

INEC Trains State Voter Education Officers Ahead of 2027 Elections

August 20, 2026
Security

Nigerian Navy Seizes 364 Bags of Smuggled Foreign Rice on Badagry Operation 

August 20, 2026

Nigerian Navy Inducts SSV KALI 3, Strengthens Partnership with SEEPCO to Safeguard Critical Energy Assets

August 20, 2026

Defence Ministry Recommits to Military Veterans Welfare, Pension Concerns

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest information from The Sight News.Stay Connected

About Us
About Us

Your source for factual information. We pride ourselves in publishing objective news always

We're social. Connect with us:

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Services
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Coverage
  • Donate
  • News

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest,Factual news from all over Nigeria and the world at large. With us , you are never misinformed

© 2026 The Sight News.
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.