By Faith Anisiobi, The Sight News
The Federal Government has extended the screening exercise for Nigerian nationals in South Africa who have indicated interest in returning home, as preparations intensify for their evacuation.
Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa, disclosed on Sunday that Nigeria’s Mission in Pretoria confirmed the extension of the screening process until Wednesday, June 10, 2026.
According to him, more than 500 Nigerians have so far been screened and cleared for evacuation.
Ebienfa said President Bola Tinubu has approved five evacuation flights to be operated by Air Peace to facilitate the return of affected citizens.
He explained that the first flight, expected to airlift about 270 passengers, is scheduled to depart Johannesburg on Wednesday, subject to the approval of the necessary permits and operational clearances for the aircraft.
“The first evacuation flight is now expected to leave Johannesburg on Wednesday, if the necessary permits and clearance are secured for the aircraft,” he said.
He added that details of the departure schedule and the estimated arrival time in Lagos would be communicated once updates are received from the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs assured that arrangements are being coordinated with relevant authorities to ensure a smooth and orderly evacuation process for all registered Nigerians.

