Close Menu
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Honoring Kaiama’s Contributions: Isaac Adaka Boro University

August 21, 2026

FAAN: Passenger Safety, Seamless Airport Mobility Remain our Priority

August 21, 2026

US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures of More Support

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
Subscribe
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
Home»Health»CODE: Nigeria’s Hantavirus Absence May Reflect Luck, Not Strong Health Defences
Health

CODE: Nigeria’s Hantavirus Absence May Reflect Luck, Not Strong Health Defences

TheSightNews .By TheSightNews .May 12, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
Hyeladzira Mshelia, Acting Chief Executive of CODE
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By Faith Anisiobi, The Sight News

Nigeria may have so far avoided the emerging global Hantavirus outbreak, but Connected Development (CODE) has warned that the country’s weak epidemic preparedness systems could leave it dangerously exposed if the virus is introduced.

In a statement issued by Hyeladzira Mshelia, Acting Chief Executive of CODE, the organisation said the current absence of confirmed cases in Nigeria should not be interpreted as proof of a resilient or effective public health response framework.

The caution comes after the World Health Organization confirmed eight Hantavirus infections, including three fatalities, traced to passengers on board the Dutch-flagged cruise ship MV Hondius. The cases, linked to the Andes virus strain with limited human-to-human transmission, have triggered heightened surveillance and contact-tracing efforts across Europe, North America, and parts of Asia.

Although the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) maintains that no infections have been recorded locally, CODE argued that Nigeria’s apparent safety may be more coincidental than the result of strong preventive systems.

The group highlighted persistent weaknesses in Port Health Services, including inadequate staffing at entry points and insufficient quarantine infrastructure at international airports and seaports. It noted that similar gaps were widely reported during the COVID-19 pandemic and have not been fully addressed.

CODE further referenced Nigeria’s comparatively lower COVID-19 testing capacity—about 1.78 million tests by mid-2021—when compared with South Africa’s 3.2 million tests, despite population differences, describing it as evidence of ongoing surveillance limitations.

Through its COVID-19 Transparency and Accountability Project (CTAP), the organisation said it monitored over ₦99 billion and additional donor funds raised during the pandemic, expressing concern that accountability and oversight mechanisms around those resources remain inadequate.

It also cited a National Bureau of Statistics survey conducted in July 2020, which showed that only 12.5 percent of the poorest Nigerians received any form of pandemic-related support, while civil society organisations repeatedly criticised the transparency of COVID-19 fund management.

CODE raised further concerns about the ongoing ₦32.9 billion allocation under the revised Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF 2.0), particularly resources designated for epidemic preparedness via the NCDC channel, noting that public access to spending details remains limited despite recent governance reforms introduced in October 2025.

Findings from its Project Track BHCPF initiative (#HealthShield), according to the organisation, indicate that bureaucratic delays, limited stakeholder awareness, and weak inter-agency coordination continue to slow access to emergency health financing at the state level.

The group warned that such systemic bottlenecks could severely undermine Nigeria’s response capacity in the event of a fast-spreading outbreak where speed is critical.

It therefore called on the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, NCDC, Nigerian Ports Authority, Ministry of Aviation, and other relevant agencies to urgently conduct and publish transparent audits of quarantine and disease surveillance systems at all points of entry.

CODE also demanded that all epidemic preparedness funds under the BHCPF framework be made publicly traceable and linked to clear, measurable outcomes at frontline health facilities.

The organisation urged stronger, sustained collaboration among the NCDC, immigration authorities, port health services, and the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, insisting that coordination should be institutionalised rather than activated only during emergencies.

It further recommended that frontline personnel at airports and seaports be properly equipped, while nationwide public awareness campaigns on Hantavirus should be launched immediately to prevent misinformation and panic.

“Nigeria has a window of opportunity,” the statement concluded. “It must act now before it closes.”

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Related

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
TheSightNews .
  • Website

Related Posts

Doro Urges Humanitarian Workers to Remain Committed to Serving Vulnerable Nigerians

August 21, 2026

FG Renews Push for Safer Drinking Water as National Water Quality Training Begins in Abuja

August 14, 2026

NMEP, Sproxil Explore AI, Private Data to Accelerate Malaria Elimination

August 11, 2026

Elevating Military Healthcare: Alausa Inaugurates Technical Working Group On First Medical Cadet, Sets 2026 Admission Target

July 31, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Advertisement
Recent Post

Honoring Kaiama’s Contributions: Isaac Adaka Boro University

August 21, 2026

FAAN: Passenger Safety, Seamless Airport Mobility Remain our Priority

August 21, 2026

US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures of More Support

August 21, 2026

Xenophobia: Nigeria Welcomes 83 Returnees from South Africa 

August 21, 2026

Doro Urges Humanitarian Workers to Remain Committed to Serving Vulnerable Nigerians

August 21, 2026
Security

Nigerian Navy Seizes 364 Bags of Smuggled Foreign Rice on Badagry Operation 

August 20, 2026

Nigerian Navy Inducts SSV KALI 3, Strengthens Partnership with SEEPCO to Safeguard Critical Energy Assets

August 20, 2026

Defence Ministry Recommits to Military Veterans Welfare, Pension Concerns

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest information from The Sight News.Stay Connected

About Us
About Us

Your source for factual information. We pride ourselves in publishing objective news always

We're social. Connect with us:

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Services
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Coverage
  • Donate
  • News

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest,Factual news from all over Nigeria and the world at large. With us , you are never misinformed

© 2026 The Sight News.
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.