Close Menu
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Honoring Kaiama’s Contributions: Isaac Adaka Boro University

August 21, 2026

FAAN: Passenger Safety, Seamless Airport Mobility Remain our Priority

August 21, 2026

US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures of More Support

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
Subscribe
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
Home»Migration»219 Nigerians Freed from Cybercrime Ring in Ghana: FG Lauds Effort, Urges Regional Cooperation
Migration

219 Nigerians Freed from Cybercrime Ring in Ghana: FG Lauds Effort, Urges Regional Cooperation

TheSightNews .By TheSightNews .April 25, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By Gabriel Ameh, The Sight News

Accra, Ghana — The Federal Government of Nigeria has praised Ghanaian authorities for rescuing 219 young Nigerians who were trafficked into the country and forced to engage in cybercrimes.

Nigeria’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, conveyed the appreciation during a visit to the Economic and Organised Crimes Office (EOCO) in Accra, where the victims were being held for care and assessment, a statement by Magnus Eze, Special Assistant on Communication and New Media to the Minister said on Thursday 24th April 2025.

According to Eze, during a closed-door meeting with EOCO’s Executive Director, Mr. Bashiru Dapilah, and his team, the Minister lauded the professionalism of Ghanaian operatives, especially in treating the victims with dignity despite the circumstances of their rescue.

Ambassador Odumegwu-Ojukwu, who was in Ghana for the 50th anniversary celebration of ECOWAS and the Extraordinary Session of its Council of Ministers, condemned the exploitation of the youths, describing human trafficking as “modern-day slavery and a vile affront to human dignity.”

She revealed that the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana had earlier alerted her about the trafficking ring, which held the victims in deplorable conditions within a gated estate.

“Prior to their rescue, these boys were confined in about 25 rooms and used to carry out cybercrimes. Many were physically abused. One had his legs broken for failing to remit proceeds to their ringleader. Some could barely adjust to sunlight after being locked in dark rooms for weeks,” she disclosed.

Addressing the rescued youths, the Minister urged them to see their rescue as a second chance and warned others against falling for deceptive overseas job offers.

“Count yourselves lucky,” she said. “Next time, it might be in a country that has no diplomatic goodwill towards Nigeria. There are places where cybercrime attracts harsh penalties, and you may never return.”

Odumegwu-Ojukwu emphasized the commitment of the Tinubu administration to youth empowerment through skills acquisition and technical education under the Renewed Hope Agenda. She encouraged the victims to take advantage of government programmes upon their return.

“We’re focusing on citizen-centered diplomacy. The goal is to protect and uplift Nigerians wherever they are,” she said.

The Minister also praised the collaboration between EOCO and Nigeria’s National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), and said she was moved by EOCO’s decision not to hand over the victims to Nigeria’s correctional system.

“It shows their intent to rehabilitate, not punish. That’s commendable,” she said.

EOCO’s Executive Director, Mr. Dapilah, detailed how the agency acted on intelligence to dismantle the trafficking ring, arresting not only the traffickers but also the estate owner who enabled the operation.

“This is not just a Nigerian problem. We suspect coordination between perpetrators in both countries. We need bilateral cooperation to bring all culprits to justice,” Dapilah stated.

He applauded the majority of Nigerians in Ghana for being law-abiding and contributing to the local economy, particularly in trade and hospitality.

The Nigerian Chargé D’Affaires to Ghana, Ambassador Dayo Adeoye, reiterated the importance of sensitization to prevent more cases of trafficking, noting that over three million Nigerians currently reside in Ghana.

A total of 231 rescued Nigerians, including others intercepted in similar operations, are expected to arrive in Lagos on Friday for rehabilitation and reintegration.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Related

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
TheSightNews .
  • Website

Related Posts

Xenophobia: Nigeria Welcomes 83 Returnees from South Africa 

August 21, 2026

FG Demands Urgent Action to End Xenophobic Attacks Against Nigerians, Africans in South Africa

August 21, 2026

83 Nigerians to Return from South Africa Amid Afrophobic Attacks

August 18, 2026

FG to Nigeria Diaspora: Your Skills, Resources Critical to National Development

August 17, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Advertisement
Recent Post

Honoring Kaiama’s Contributions: Isaac Adaka Boro University

August 21, 2026

FAAN: Passenger Safety, Seamless Airport Mobility Remain our Priority

August 21, 2026

US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures of More Support

August 21, 2026

Xenophobia: Nigeria Welcomes 83 Returnees from South Africa 

August 21, 2026

Doro Urges Humanitarian Workers to Remain Committed to Serving Vulnerable Nigerians

August 21, 2026
Security

Nigerian Navy Seizes 364 Bags of Smuggled Foreign Rice on Badagry Operation 

August 20, 2026

Nigerian Navy Inducts SSV KALI 3, Strengthens Partnership with SEEPCO to Safeguard Critical Energy Assets

August 20, 2026

Defence Ministry Recommits to Military Veterans Welfare, Pension Concerns

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest information from The Sight News.Stay Connected

About Us
About Us

Your source for factual information. We pride ourselves in publishing objective news always

We're social. Connect with us:

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Services
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Coverage
  • Donate
  • News

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest,Factual news from all over Nigeria and the world at large. With us , you are never misinformed

© 2026 The Sight News.
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.