Close Menu
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Defence Minister Visits Nigerian Ambassador to the United States

August 18, 2026

Re: Northern Security Trust Fund: ₦1bn is a beginning, not the solution

August 18, 2026

NDLEA Destroys N301bn Worth of Cocaine, Heroin, Opioids, Others in Lagos

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
Subscribe
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
Home»Security»Nigerian Navy Rescues 22 Passengers After Sea Robbery Attack in Akwa Ibom
Security

Nigerian Navy Rescues 22 Passengers After Sea Robbery Attack in Akwa Ibom

TheSightNews .By TheSightNews .August 17, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By Faith Anisiobi, The Sight News

The Nigerian Navy has rescued 22 passengers abducted during the hijacking of a wooden passenger boat along the Calabar–Oron–Ibaka waterway in Cross River and Akwa Ibom states.

The incident occurred on August 11, 2026, when the passenger boat, travelling from Henshaw Town Beach in Calabar to Utan Uyata, Ibaka, was intercepted by armed sea robbers shortly after passing Enwang Community.

Following reports of the attack, personnel of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Ibaka, in collaboration with Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) Sector 4 and the Marine Police, launched a coordinated operation to locate the victims and recover the hijacked vessel.

The operation led to the recovery of the boat and the rescue of 11 passengers who had been abandoned by the suspected criminals at Asak-Ikang Creek.

Another 11 passengers who had escaped during the attack were subsequently located and accounted for at the OPDS Sector 4 command post, bringing the total number of rescued and accounted-for victims to 22.

The Navy said all the passengers were taken to the FOB Ibaka Sickbay for medical assessment and first aid before arrangements were made for their safe return to Calabar alongside the recovered boat.

It added that no ransom was paid for the release of the victims.

The Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Naval Command, Rear Admiral Chidozie Okehie, reaffirmed the Navy’s commitment to strengthening maritime security operations and inter-agency collaboration, as well as leveraging timely intelligence to deny criminals freedom of action along Nigeria’s waterways.

Okehie said the successful rescue demonstrated the Navy’s determination to protect lives, safeguard legitimate maritime activities and maintain a secure maritime environment.

He assured that the service would continue to work with sister security agencies and other stakeholders to combat sea robbery, kidnapping and other forms of maritime criminality.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Related

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
TheSightNews .
  • Website

Related Posts

Defence Minister Visits Nigerian Ambassador to the United States

August 18, 2026

Pay Rise for Military Personnel Will Help Improve Security in Nigeria – TMV

August 17, 2026

Nigerian Navy and NIMASA Renew Strategic Partnership to Enhance Maritime Safety and Security

August 15, 2026

Nigeria, US Reinforce Strategic Defence and Security Partnership at Washington D.C Talks

August 14, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Advertisement
Recent Post

Defence Minister Visits Nigerian Ambassador to the United States

August 18, 2026

Re: Northern Security Trust Fund: ₦1bn is a beginning, not the solution

August 18, 2026

NDLEA Destroys N301bn Worth of Cocaine, Heroin, Opioids, Others in Lagos

August 18, 2026

Nigeria Emerges Top African Nation, Finishes Third at 2026 Commonwealth Fencing Championship

August 18, 2026

Information Minister Celebrates Babangida at 85, Hails Contributions to Nation-Building

August 18, 2026
Security

Defence Minister Visits Nigerian Ambassador to the United States

August 18, 2026

Nigeria Celebrates Indonesia’s 81st Independence, Eyes Stronger Partnership

August 18, 2026

Nigerian Navy Rescues 22 Passengers After Sea Robbery Attack in Akwa Ibom

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest information from The Sight News.Stay Connected

About Us
About Us

Your source for factual information. We pride ourselves in publishing objective news always

We're social. Connect with us:

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Services
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Coverage
  • Donate
  • News

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest,Factual news from all over Nigeria and the world at large. With us , you are never misinformed

© 2026 The Sight News.
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.