Close Menu
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
What's Hot

FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday to Mark Eid-el-Mawlid

August 21, 2026

Nigeria Strikes Double Win At Africa’s Education Assessment Summit As NECO Boss Becomes AEAA Vice-President

August 21, 2026

Honoring Kaiama’s Contributions: Isaac Adaka Boro University

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release
Subscribe
TheSightNewsTheSightNews
Home»ICT»FG Suspends Twitter’s Operation in Nigeria
ICT

FG Suspends Twitter’s Operation in Nigeria

TheSightNews .By TheSightNews .June 4, 2021No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
Twitter. Image credit/gettyimages
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Nigeria’s government has suspended indefinitely the operations of the microblogging and social networking service, Twitter in the country.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, announced the suspension in a statement through the Special Assistant to the President (Media), Office of the Minister of Information and Culture, Abuja, Segun Adeyemi.

Mohammed, who cited the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence, said the federal government also directed the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to immediately commence the process of licensing all OTT and social media operations in Nigeria.

Recall that Twitter had earlier deleted a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari in which he threatened to punish pro-Biafra groups blamed for escalating attacks on government and security authorities.The social media platform said Buhari’s tweet violated its “abusive behaviour” policy, leading to a 12-hour suspension of his account.

The tweet promised a response to waves of attacks blamed on the Eastern Security Network (ESN), an armed group which emerged from the main pro-Biafran secessionist movement, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

Similarly, Twitter also pulled down a threat video where President Buhari warned youths of fueling insecurity.

The video which was initially posted on the official handle of the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, @NGRPresident, was deemed genocidal.

In the video, while the president was addressing the attacks on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) facilities in the region, he stated the role he played alongside other Nigerian military officers in the Nigerian Civil War of 1966-70, which led to the murder of over three million Igbos.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Related

Lai Mohammed Twitter Twitter Suspended in Nigeria
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
TheSightNews .
  • Website

Related Posts

Over 5,000 Fibre Cuts in H1 2026: NCC Urges Protection of Fibre Infrastructure During Road Construction

August 12, 2026

‘New Face of Alaba’: Defence Minister Hails Market as Africa’s Emerging Technology Hub

August 8, 2026

Nigeria Seeks Stronger Huawei Partnership to Drive Digital Economy, Innovation

August 7, 2026

FG Seeks Stronger Digital Economy Through Advertising, Creative Industries 

August 6, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Advertisement
Recent Post

FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday to Mark Eid-el-Mawlid

August 21, 2026

Nigeria Strikes Double Win At Africa’s Education Assessment Summit As NECO Boss Becomes AEAA Vice-President

August 21, 2026

Honoring Kaiama’s Contributions: Isaac Adaka Boro University

August 21, 2026

FAAN: Passenger Safety, Seamless Airport Mobility Remain our Priority

August 21, 2026

US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures of More Support

August 21, 2026
Security

Nigerian Navy Seizes 364 Bags of Smuggled Foreign Rice on Badagry Operation 

August 20, 2026

Nigerian Navy Inducts SSV KALI 3, Strengthens Partnership with SEEPCO to Safeguard Critical Energy Assets

August 20, 2026

Defence Ministry Recommits to Military Veterans Welfare, Pension Concerns

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest information from The Sight News.Stay Connected

About Us
About Us

Your source for factual information. We pride ourselves in publishing objective news always

We're social. Connect with us:

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Services
  • About Us
  • Adverts & Enquiries
  • Contact Us
  • Our Services
Coverage
  • Donate
  • News

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest,Factual news from all over Nigeria and the world at large. With us , you are never misinformed

© 2026 The Sight News.
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Interviews
    • Press Release

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.