Calls on God for Help
By Ewa Innocent, The Sight News
Abakaliki: A young man,whose name was given as Chinedu Nweze,on Saturday, a day before the Easter celebration, set himself ablaze, saying that he was tired of this world.
The unfortunate incident which took place at St. Patrick Primary school, Kpirikpiri, Abakaliki, near one of the classroom blocks attracted many sympathisers.
According to an eye-witness who pleaded anonymity, the man whom she described as her neighbour at Umuoghara village, Ezza North local government area of Ebonyi state, where both of them hail from, had sometimes manifested mental illness,but not to the level of attempting to take his own life.
She said, “It was a great shock to see Mr Chinedu Nweze,on flames”.
Some sympathisers who were attracted to the scene rushed with leaves and bags of sachet water to extinguish the inferno which had already burnt some vital parts of his body, including his male organ.
It was gathered that Mr Nweze before setting self ablaze, had tied both his legs with a rope, probably to prevent escape before pouring petrol on his body.
A container with substance, suspected to be petrol and a box of matches used in the act were discovered on the spot where Nweze was wriggling in pains.
It was a typical example of the biblical hell fire as he was seen gnashing his teeth on flames, calling God for help.
However, the police who got a distress call arrived the scene and acted promptly by taking Mr Nweze to Federal teaching hospital,Abakaliki,where he is currently receiving treatment.
A native of Umuoghara, Ezza North local government area, who spoke to The SIGHT News, said that Mr Nweze has lost his father and mother and had no other close relations that have the capacity to render help.