Epileptic Power Supply: NAF Commissions Solar Power System At AFCS Ibadan

By Gift Samuel

In a bid to tackle the scourge of epileptic power supply,the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has on Thursday commissioned a Solar Power System at the Air Force Comprehensive School (AFCS) Ibadan.

While speaking at the commissioning,
Air Vice Marshal Remi Suara (rtd), who was the Guest of Honour at the event, stated that the provision of the Solar Power System would boost instructional and learning activities as well as enhance the overall academic performance of the students.

In his address, the Air Officer Commanding Logistics Command, Air Vice Marshal Ibrahim Yahaya said the Solar Powered System has been designed in a way to provide 80 per cent of the needed electricity while the standby generators will take up the remaining 20 percent so as to give constant electricity supply round the clock to the boys’ and girls’ hostels, medical centre, administrative block and all the classrooms.

According to him, “The solar panels on school property sends a really important message to the children about the importance of moving towards sustainable energy and reducing carbon foot print on our environment”.

Earlier, the Commander of 571 NAF Detachment Ibadan, Air Commodore E.O Akinbayo expressed his gratitude to the Chief of Air Staff(CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, for his commitment in ensuring that the command gets the needed support to efficiently and effectively carry out their statutory duties.

The project is part of the NAF’s contribution to the realization of the Federal Government’s aspiration of achieving 30 per cent of renewable energy production in Nigeria by 2030.

The installed system was built to supply the school with electricity, with minimal maintenance, for the next 10 years while the solar panels are under warranty for 25 years.

The installation adequately powers the administrative and classroom blocks with 15.6 KVA capacity solar system and 115 kWh of battery storage. Similarly, the student hostels and medical centre are powered with 10.4 kVA capacity solar systems and 24 kWh of battery storage.

Tags from the story
,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *